Monday, December 16, 2013

'Bitcoin Will No Longer Be the Anonymous Tool of Anarchists'

By Andrew Moran

What was once considered the monetary tool for anarchists due to its anonymity and fight against fiat currency will soon become just another regulated payment system that will lose its prominence in the world of alternative currencies.
 
First, please allow me to confirm that I support the ultimate goal of a lot of bitcoiners: a legitimate alternative(s) to the failed experiment of fiat money. As a libertarian and a student of the Austrian School of Economics, I am fully in favor of competing currencies in the free market; gold and silver, bitcoin and litecoin. Anything is better than the greenback or the euro.
 
Therefore, to all the bitcoiners who will ultimately disagree with my conclusion, please do not bombard me with anger, rage, vitriol and even death threats. Now, onto the point of this piece, which I concede will not gain the favor of bitcoin owners, investors and miners.
 
Over the past month, I have reported and opined extensively on bitcoin for a handful of publications – I have also been following the digital currency regularly since about 2010 when I first heard about it through the Ridley Report. One aspect that is continually promoted is that the cryptocurrency is anonymous and therefore a perfect tool for those who are described as monetary anarchists.

Perhaps at first it was, but with growing acceptance among both the marketplace and even governments around the world, it shall no longer be. Whether it’s a pump and dump scheme (Robert Wenzel) or a Ponzi scheme (Gary North) is a different story, but the bitcoin is losing one of its most popular characteristics: anonymity.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment