Friday, June 19, 2009

Billionaire Stanford, chairman of the troubled Stanford Financial Group, surrenders

DALLAS: Texas billionaire R. Allen Stanford, chairman of the troubled Stanford Financial Group, surrendered to FBI agents in Virginia on Thursday afternoon, his attorney said.

Law enforcement officials said Stanford is in custody after surrendering in Stafford, Virginia.

Authorities plan to unseal an indictment charging Stanford on Friday, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

Stanford is to appear in federal court in Richmond, Virginia, on Friday morning, they added.

A grand jury in Houston has been investigating Stanford Financial Group.

The Securities and Exchange Commission filed civil charges earlier this year accusing Stanford and his top executives of conducting an US$8 billion fraud by advising clients to buy certificates of deposit from the Antigua-based Stanford International Bank.

Dick DeGuerin, Stanford's attorney in Houston, told The Associated Press that Stanford "surrendered this afternoon to some FBI agents who were hiding out in black SUVs outside the residence where he was staying in Virginia."

"He walked out and asked if they had a warrant," DeGuerin said.

He said Stanford told them to arrest him if they had a warrant and said if they didn't he would go back to Houston Friday to turn himself in.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko declined to comment.

Laura Pendergest-Holt, chief investment officer of Stanford's parent company, faces criminal charges of obstructing the SEC's investigation by lying about her knowledge of the firm's activities and omitting key details.

Jeff Tillotson, her attorney, told the AP that they "fully expect a superceding indictment in our case."

He has said she was "set up" by Stanford.

泰國‧泰一天111宗本土感染‧短短8天激增40倍

(泰國‧曼谷)泰國於週四(6月18日)警告,國內本土A型流感傳染病例激增,比8天前的本土病例激增近40倍。

公共衛生部週四說,當天再增113宗確診病例,使該國確診病例增至518宗。

公共衛生部長維塔雅說:“化驗證實週四增加113宗病例,只有兩宗是海外感染,其餘為本土感染。”

他說,目前沒有人死亡,只有12人仍住院。

該部表示會“坦誠”向公眾公佈所有新病例,並會與世衛密切作。

曼谷病例占全國三分二

副公共衛生部長馬尼特表示,曼谷病例占全國近三分之二,大部份患者為學生,有21人為芭堤雅夜總會職員。

目前全國有18府共60個教育機構因A型流感停課。曼谷23所學校週三(6月17日)暫時關閉。

馬尼特指出,國內59所學校和一所大學自5月出現流感病例。

當局說,他們本週分發100萬份防範流感指導手冊,首相阿比希也敦促人民不要恐慌。

China’s Got a New Currency….. and It Sure AIN’T the Dollar

Let’s talk about China.

China is the US’s largest creditor. All told, the People’s Republic has $700+ billion in US Treasuries. However, if you account for other dollar denominated investments, China is believed to have 70% of its $1.7 trillion in foreign reserves sitting in green backs.

That’s an unbelievable amount of money invested in the US dollar. Needless to say, the Chinese are not too happy about our Central Bank’s decision to print TRILLIONS of dollars propping up the US financial system.

Indeed, the initial rumblings of what will eventually turn into outright conflict (either economic or war) have already begun. China’s Premier Wen Jiabao recently commented, "We have lent a huge amount of money to the US…Of course we are concerned about the safety of our assets. To be honest, I am definitely a little worried."

Other, former Chinese officials have been less polite in their public statements. Yu Yongding, a former Chinese central bank adviser, recently referred to the US Federal Reserve “as the world’s biggest junk investor… ridden with rubbish assets,” and to Chairman Ben Bernanke as “helicopter Ben.”


The situation has gotten intense enough that Secretary of the State Hillary Clinton flew to Asia to plead with China and other US creditor nations to continue buying US Treasuries. “By continuing to support American Treasury instruments the Chinese are recognizing our interconnection. We are truly going to rise or fall together," Clinton said at the US embassy there.

In simple terms, China owns a TON of dollar denominated assets. And the Fed is doing everything it can to devalue the dollar. Thus China has a few options:

1) Openly sell the dollar, thereby destroying the value of its reserves and inviting open war with the US.

2) Quietly shift away from the dollar without openly attracting attention or threatening the US publicly.

The Chinese government, particularly its Premier, has been floating option #1 in the media, discussing the potential for dropping the dollar standard along with Russia and Brazil.

However, this boils down to nothing more than grandstanding. The Chinese are not idiots. And they know that dropping the dollar standard would destroy a HUGE portion of their foreign reserves, since everyone and their mother would follow suit.

Indeed, abandoning the dollar for another currency (say the yen or euro) would serve no benefit from an economic standpoint. It would crush China’s Treasury denominated reserves as the dollar plunged. It would also be akin to trading one problematic investment for another: no major world currency is backed by gold or any asset of real value.

No, to my way of thinking, the Chinese are merely posturing with these statements, trying to draw attention away from the fact that they’re already begun pursuing option #2 (diversifying away from the dollar in private). Indeed, China has already begun moving into a new currency, one that is neither fiat nor flawed. And they did it in their usual manner: under the radar with great focus and determination.

That new currency is natural resources.

Throughout 2009, China has been buying up natural resources, commodities, and other real assets at a break-taking pace: copper imports hit a record 329,000 tons in February, only to be eclipsed by a new record of 375,000 tons in March.

The copper story is just the latest and most obvious display of China’s new currency binge. The Chinese have been buying up mines, metal ore (57 million tons of iron in April alone), and other resources for years now. The headlines were right under the world’s collective nose, but no one was thinking “diversification away from the dollar.” Instead they were thinking, “purchases needed to fuel economic growth.”

Truly, it wasn’t until the world noticed that China was still buying commodities in record amounts even after its economy took a hit that the media began to connect the dots.

Here’s a few dots to consider…

Feb.10, 2009: China buys Oz Minerals, the world’s second largest zinc miner for $1.7 billion

Feb. 12, 2009: China buys $20 billion worth of Rio Tinto, one of the three largest iron ore producers, giving it the potential to raise its stake to 19%.

Feb. 24. 2009: China buys 16% of Fortescue Metals an Australian iron ore company.

April 1, 2009 China buys $46 million worth of Terramin Australia’s lead and zinc supplies in Algeria.

April 15, 2009: China buy 51% of Ontario’s Liberty Mines: a nickel producer.

One should also consider that these are merely the transactions that are publicly displayed. The Chinese government has proved adept at buying assets below the radar via foreign holding companies and other complicated business structures. Informal accounts posit that China has in fact scooped up even more natural resources and mines via these methods today.

The reasoning here is simple. Unlike paper currencies, natural resources and commodities cannot be reproduced ad infinitum by central banks. Thus they are inflation proof. In addition, natural resources actually offer a direct benefit to China’s economy whereas an investment in a foreign currency (the dollar or otherwise) is merely a means of parking cash for a return.

Finally, and most notably, natural resources allow the Chinese to diversify away from the dollar without damaging their current dollar holdings: or their relationship with the US: if word got out that the Chinese were dumping Treasuries, the Treasury market would implode, destroying the value of China’s current investment.

Make no mistake, the Chinese have already begun diversifying away from the dollar. They just haven’t advertised the fact openly. Chinese students openly laughed at our Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner when he gave a talk there promising that “Chinese assets were safe” in the dollar. If Chinese STUDENTS can figure the Fed’s moves out, what do you think the Chinese GOVERNMENT is doing?

I think we both know the answer to that.

Best Regards,

Graham Summers


美國‧重返月球‧發射2探測器

國‧華盛頓)美國太空總署週四(6月18日)成功發射兩個月球探測器,向人類在2020年重返月球的漫長旅程邁出第一步。

這兩個探測器將對月球進行重大探測任務,分別搜尋這個地球衛上的水源和降落地點。

當地時間下午5時32分(大馬時間今日(週五,6月19日)凌晨4時32分),太空總署在佛達州卡納維拉爾角空軍基順利發射“宇宙神-5”火箭,一舉將“月球勘查軌道號”(LRO)和“月球隕坑觀測與傳感衛星”(LCROSS)兩枚探測器送上太空。

運行1年收集數據太空總署稱,此次發射“完美無缺”。月球探測器約在4天後接近月球,並將圍繞月球運行1年以收集並傳回有關數據,為美國下一步載人探月以及探索太陽系提供依據。

第一位在月球漫步的是美國太空人,人類最近一次探月是在1972年。

發射月球探測器是美國“重返月球”戰略計劃的第一步。太空總署表示,啟“重返月球”計劃將有助於瞭解一些基本問題,如地球、太陽系和宇宙的形成。

“星座計劃”總工程師托德‧梅本週向記者說:“這兩個探測器將提供必要的資訊,讓們決定是否再送人登月。”

“月球隕坑觀測與傳感衛星”將是美國太空總署歷年來最炫目的探月活動。

U.S., Europe Try Good-Cop, Bad-Cop Approach

European states are taking a considerably more aggressive line toward Tehran's clerical leaders than the Obama administration as Iran's postelection crisis deepens, fueling the ire of U.S. Republicans and some democracy activists.

The approach suggests an unusual reversal among the Americans and Europeans from recent history, with Washington emerging as a relatively passive voice and the European Union assuming the role of Tehran's chief scold. But the dynamic also is being welcomed by many European officials involved in Iran diplomacy as an effective approach against Tehran.

The pressure being applied by European states with substantial diplomatic and economic ties to Iran will be more difficult for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to shrug off in coming months, said these officials.

Meanwhile, a measured position by President Barack Obama could rob Tehran's leaders of a foil to use against the growing reformist movement, though the government this week nevertheless accused the U.S. of helping to foment unrest.

"The Europeans have been out very vociferously defending the rights of Iranians and protesting the irregularities. To me, that makes better sense," said Suzanne Maloney, a Brookings Institution Iran analyst and former State Department official. "They have the presence on the ground, they have the relationships with the Iranians, they can potentially make a difference."

Since charges of electoral fraud emerged last week, some EU states have openly challenged the results, while Mr. Obama has chosen his words carefully.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy this week called the election a "fraud." German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned a "wave of arrests" by the government and cited "signs of irregularities." After a meeting on Monday, EU foreign ministers called on Tehran to "address and investigate" allegations of vote fraud.

Iran shot back Thursday with ire usually reserved for the U.S. "Foreign support for these trouble-makers and anarchists under the cover of supporting democracy and the voice of the Iranian people raises questions and cannot be justified," said a statement from Iran's Embassy in Brussels.

At a Brussels summit Thursday, EU diplomats said they saw it as their turn to take a stand while the U.S. handles the delicate negotiations with Tehran that they expect in coming months over the nuclear issue. "This time around, we know that it's Obama's problem to deal with," said a French diplomat. "That frees us up to be a bit more critical than usual."

U.S. and European officials said that there wasn't any concerted decision between them to develop a good-cop, bad-cop scenario. But they stressed that they discuss Iran every day. "There are regular contacts, we talk all the time," said French spokeswoman Marine de Carne. For the moment, she says, "we are respecting the outcome of the elections."

The real fault line in international diplomacy, said U.S. and European officials, pits on one side Washington and the EU, which have complained about freedom-of-speech restrictions in Iran, and on the other Russia and China, which have refrained from criticizing Iranian authorities in recent days.

To be sure, France has been outspoken on Iran for some time. As far back as 2007, then-President Jacques Chirac caused a stir by warning Iran that if it were ever to use a nuclear weapon against Israel, Tehran would be wiped out within seconds.

Britain, which shared responsibility with the U.S. for the 1953 coup that brought the Shah to power, has mostly taken a similar line to Washington's, judging that any attempt to side with defeated challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi would backfire.

When the U.K., France and Germany began talks with Tehran over its nuclear program, the U.S. administration opposed the effort, which offered Tehran civilian nuclear technology and trade privileges if it would abandon its efforts to produce nuclear fuel. With no alternatives available, Washington became supportive.

Though years of negotiations produced no result, U.S. officials said the cooperation with Europe contributed to a unified stance on the electoral crisis. "We are pretty close together on substance and tone," said a senior U.S. official working on Iran.

As they arrived at the Brussels summit, EU foreign ministers were expected to draft a new policy statement on Iran. But after dishing out their criticism earlier in the week, "everybody's being prudent, and waiting for a recount or some other development," says Delphine Colard, a spokeswoman for the Belgian ministry of foreign affairs.

Japan warns that North Korea may fire missile at U.S. on Independence Day 日本‧《讀賣新聞》推測在7月初‧朝或向夏威夷發射導彈

North Korea may launch a long-range ballistic missile towards Hawaii on American Independence Day, according to Japanese intelligence officials.

The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched in early July from the Dongchang-ni site on the north-western coast of the secretive country.

Intelligence analysts do not believe the device would be capable of hitting Hawaii's main islands, which are 4,500 miles from North Korea.

Details of the launch came from the Japan's best-selling newspaper, Yomiuri Shimbun.

Both Japanese intelligence and U.S. reconnaissance satellites have collated information pointing to the launch, according to the report.



(日本‧東京)日本《讀賣新聞》週四(6月18日)報導,朝鮮可能7月初往國夏威夷海域發射一枚長程彈道導彈。

報導指出,朝鮮最有可能發射“大浦洞-2”長程導彈。美國偵測衛已掌握到朝鮮東倉基地內有導彈發射台,但導彈進行組裝、注入燃料到發射之間最少約需10天。


報導稱,2006年7月4日,朝鮮曾發射“大浦洞-2”,正值美國獨立紀念。7月8日是朝鮮主席金日成逝世紀念日,因此日本防衛省推測,“朝鮮可能於4至8日之間發射”。

日韓拒評報導

日本防衛省發言人拒絕對《讀賣新聞》的報導置評。韓國國防部和局也拒絕予以證實。

不過《讀賣新聞》同時指出,夏威夷距朝鮮有7000公里之遙,即使新型的“大浦洞-2”改良型,射程也只是4000至6500公里左右,若通過日本青森縣上空的最短捷徑,也無法抵達夏威夷。

朝鮮發出禁航警告

此外,日本海上保安廳表示,再次接聽到朝鮮向沿岸船隻發出的航行警告。日本正密切注意,是否與發射導彈有關。

朝鮮此次劃定的禁航區域,為東部元山沿岸長約263公里、最寬約54公里範圍的日本海。



North Korea issued this image of a Taepodong-2 missile: It has a range of 4,000 miles

This is North Korea's Taepodong-2 missile which has a range of 4,000 miles. Intelligence analysts do not believe it would be capable of hitting Hawaii which is 4,500 miles away

 Enlarge

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il inspecting the command of the 7th Infantry Division of the North Korean Peoples Army


It is understood the communist state is likely to fire the missile between July 4 and 8. A launch on July 4 would coincide with Independence Day in the States.It would also be the 15th anniversary of North Korean president Kim Il-Sung's death.

The Japanese newspaper also noted that North Korea had fired its first Taepodong-2 missile on July 4, 2006.

Officials had initially believed that North Korea might attempt to launch a similar device towards either Japan's Okinawa island, Guam or Hawaii.

But the ministry concluded launches toward Okinawa or Guam were 'extremely unlikely' because the first-stage booster could drop into waters off China, agitating Beijing, or hit western Japanese territory.

If the missile were fired in the direction of Hawaii, the booster could drop in the Sea of Japan.

News of the launch would put 'enormous military pressure on the United States,' the Yomiuri said, citing the ministry report.

North-Korea.jpgEnlarge
A missile fired from North Korea would have to travel 4,500 miles before it reached the U.S. state of Hawaii



A spokesman for the Japanese Defense Ministry declined to comment on the report.

South Korea's Defense Ministry and the National Intelligence Service - the country's main spy agency - said they could not confirm it.

Tension on the divided Korean peninsula has risen markedly since the North, led by Kim Jong-il, conducted two nuclear tests this year in defiance of repeated international warnings

The first rocket, fired in April, was widely seen as a disguised long-range missile test. A second launch came on May 25.

U.S. satellite intelligence has shown that a missile launch pad had been erected at Dongchang-ri on North Korea's north-west coast.

General James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it would take at least three to five years for North Korea to pose a real threat to the U.S. west coast.

The UN Security Council last week authorised member states to inspect North Korean sea, air and land cargo, requiring them to seize and destroy goods shipped that violate the sanctions against arms export.

On Saturday, in response to this declaration Pyongyang said it would bolster its nuclear programs and threatened war.

Growing tensions come as arms-watchdog the International Crisis Group (ICG) claimed North Korea has several thousand tonnes of chemical weapons it could mount on missiles.

The report from the non-government organisation said they believed the North's army have about 2,500 to 5,000 tonnes of chemical weapons which include mustard gas, sarin and other deadly nerve agents.

ICG also also warned South Korea may become a target.

'If there is an escalation of conflict and if military hostilities break out, there is a risk that they could be used. In conventional terms, North Korea is weak and they feel they might have to resort to using those,' said Daniel Pinkston, the ICG's representative in Seoul.

The North has been working on chemical weapons for decades and can deliver them through long-range artillery directed on Seoul which is home to about half of South Korea's 49 million people and via missiles that could hit all of the country.


For details please check this link : http://tinyurl.com/mk6yst

Two Days Before 9/11, Military Exercise Simulated Suicide Hijack Targeting New York

Check this link : http://tinyurl.com/ms7wqn