Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Let's Go" Music Video (YMCA Day Camp)


My name is Brandon Stanton, and I am a street photographer in New York City. Several months ago, I was approached by a representative of DKNY who asked to purchase 300 of my photos to hang in their store windows "around the world." They offered me $15,000. A friend in the industry told me that $50 per photo was not nearly enough to receive from a company with hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue. So I asked for more money. They said "no."

Yesterday, a fan sent me a photo from a DKNY store in Bangkok. The window was full of my photos. These photos were used without my knowledge, and without compensation.

In lieu of other recourse, I publicly asked DKNY to make a $100,000 donation to the Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA in my name, so that deserving kids in my neighborhood could go to summer camp.
They ended up donating $25,000 in my name.

That was nice, but I'd like see if we can do better and raise the remaining $75,000 for the Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA.

That would send a full 300 kids to summer camp for two weeks.  Can you imagine the impact that would have?  In some neighborhoods, the YMCA plays a critical role of stability and community.  My neighborhood is one of those neighborhoods.
$100,000 = 300 KIDS
LET'S SEND EVERYONE TO SUMMER CAMP!

No comments:

Post a Comment