Friday, September 17, 2010

MY COUSIN AND CHE GUEVARA

Image by Benjamin Heine


Last night my cousin Aaron visited us for dinner and brought with a film for us to watch afterwards. He said it was “special for me” and promised that I would enjoy it. I looked at the title, it certainly did not look like a movie I would go out of my way to see, it was called The Motorcycle Diaries’.

The film itself was produced in 2004, but was unknown to me, probably because it is in Spanish (with English subtitles) and never received raving reviews in Israel. It was a film based on diary entries written by one of my heroes, Che Guevara. Next month it will be the 43rd anniversary of his brutal assassination in Bolivia by the CIA. But, despite his demise, he is very much with us today. His face has become an icon to an entire generation that adorns it on t shirts and posters. But, what is known about the man himself?

The Motorcycle Diaries shows a side of Che never before revealed on film…. the Humanitarian that he was. A man who cared, a man who loved, both family and all of humanity. It showed how he became the revolutionary that he was, a man that dedicated (and gave) his life for humanity.

The thoughtfulness of my cousin for choosing this particular film indicates what a special human being he is as well. All I can say is thank you Aaron and Bless you for being you!

And Bless the memory of Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara ….. may he continue to inspire generations to come!

The film itself is a MUST SEE for those of you that haven’t already. I guarantee that you will not regret it.

A short clip from the film can be seen here…..



No comments:

Post a Comment